- ProjectFernbank House
- ClientThe Abbeyfield Society
- Size49 Residential Apartments and 30 Affordable rented en-suite rooms
- StatusCompleted June 2017
The project was to provide state of the art Extra Care Housing for Older Persons for rent combined with a Dementia Care facility to meet a rapidly growing need within the Bradford and Aire Valley area.
The development consists of three elements:
- An Extra Care Housing scheme of 49 No. residential apartments with associated common facilities. The affordable rented self-contained apartments, aimed at frail older people, are a mix of 37 No. 2 bedroom and 12 No. 1 bedroom. The shared facilities include residents’ restaurant and lounge areas, hairdressing room, laundry, assisted bathroom and small kiosk shop. There are also staff offices and service area.
- A Dementia Wing providing 30 affordable rented en-suite rooms for care of residents suffering from Dementia. On each floor residents will have access to a dining room and lounge area.
- The whole complex shares a parking area providing 30 No. car parking spaces intended mainly for staff and visitor usage.
The development has been designed to be fully wheelchair accessible. The Dementia block incorporates Stirling University Silver Award criteria and the development is “Dementia friendly” throughout. Colour-coding is also used to assist way-finding. Many of the HAPPI recommendations have been incorporated, including balconies to almost all apartments. A rooftop Sun Room is provided with external terrace providing stunning views across the Aire Valley.
The completed development is now occupied, with high quality extra care and dementia care being provided around the clock by an experienced Abbeyfield team. There has already been considerable positive feedback from residents and their families as well as from staff and the HCA.
- Winner for Best Residential Scheme at the RICS Awards Yorkshire and Humber 2018